Re: the blank stare

---------

From: Jancy & Mike Cossin (jmcossin_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Oct 07 2004 - 09:54:19 PDT

Are you able to cut and paste it into an email? You have to login to see it otherwise.

"Sears, Ellen" <ESears@Anchorage.k12.ky.us> wrote:
From Ellen in KY -

This Week's Featured Article:
Many, many years ago (more 'manys' than I want to admit) I was a
public school teacher in New York City teaching disadvantaged middle
and high school students from Harlem and Hells Kitchen...There was
one stumbling block that I never was able to overcome. Whenever I
asked an open-ended question, or any question that required real
generalization or abstraction, the students would stare at me. My
eager hyperactive students suddenly became silent and stared blankly
at me.
Stanley Pogrow discusses student blank stares and how to overcome
them in
The Missing Element in Reducing the Learning Gap: Eliminating the
"Blank Stare"
** This article is featured on TCRecord's home page:

http://www.tcrecord.org