Lest We Forgot-Triumph Over Slavery - Web site

---------

From: Judith Decker (jdecker4art_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Oct 07 2004 - 07:21:39 PDT

Dear Art Educators,

Lest We Forget: The Triumph over Slavery:
http://digital.nypl.org/lwf/flash.html

This Flash Web site is in four languages. English,
French, Spanish and Portuguese.

I will be adding a link to it on my African American
Art and History page.

This is what the Scout Report had to say abou this
site:
In conjunction with the United Nations resolution
designating 2004 as the International Year to
Commemorate the Struggle Against Slavery and its
Abolition, New York Public Library's Schomburg Center
for Research in Black Culture presents this Web
exhibit. Making use of Schomburg Center materials, as
well as items loaned by other public institutions and
private collections, the Web exhibition begins with a
section entitled "A New People" that traces the
complex genetic heritage of today's
African-Americans--the vast majority descended from
enslaved Africans--but also counting Europeans, Native
Americans, and Asians among their ancestors. Shackles
and coffle chains, currency used in the 16th to 19th
centuries to buy and sell slaves, and artwork
depicting the horrors of the slave trade are some the
artifacts in "The Long March". "Slave Labor and Slave
Systems" outlines the skilled and unskilled labor that
African slaves were brought to the Americas to do,
from sugar plantations in Brazil to cotton plantations
in the southern United States. The exhibition also
includes sections on the abolition of slavery in the
United States, family life, religion, education, and
"Expressive Culture", describing the influence of
Africans on music, art, speech and dress in the
U.S.[DM]
(Copyright Scout Report 2004)

See what other sites may interest you:
http://scout.wisc.edu/Reports/ScoutReport/Current/