Re: Difficult kids/ Alternative schools etc.

---------

From: C Kerch (ckerch_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Oct 07 2004 - 01:24:39 PDT

>>Unfortunately I relate to this as I've been stretched thinner than thin
since last winter when I was juggling WAY too many responsibilities at
school (teaching 5 periods but mixed levels so essentially 9 classes per
day, yearbook, drama, school website, advisor, committee person, etc.).
It's only marginally better this year.<<

I hear ya, Sharon. Last Friday I had my goal setting meeting with my
Principal and VP. I laid out my professional goals for the year then when
asked what my personal goals were... I said to put my family first. I've
been so accomodating to the school since I started three years ago that I
forgot that my family needs me too. When my daugther entered High School
this Fall my husband blantanly pointed out that these were the critical
years for a young teenage girl and that as a MOM my daughter really needs me
to be there for all those important steps and questions. The reality that I
can't juggle everything (teacher, grade group rep., yearbook advisor, and
accredidation leader) has sunk in. The problem is that so many of the
teachers at my school won't step up to the plate to help out when asked and
the Administrations knows that I'm just so darn accomodating. I guess one
of my personal goals should've been to get a backbone and learn to say NO.

Mahalo,
Cathy
Honolulu, HI