Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

RE: Sgraffito: black slip the easy way

From: Judith Decker (jdecker4art_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Oct 06 2004 - 08:47:32 PDT

Thank you Marvin,

Another great post from you to treasure....

I have told several members off list about Amaco
Engobes (slips). For those of you without all of the
ingredients for making your own slips - try these
Engobes/slips from Amaco. They are still quite
affordable while underglazes (that can also work for
sgraffito) have gone up considerably. Dark blue is
really more of a medium blue however (I have a pot I
can share that shows it fired with a clear glaze

Natural black is a brownish black -- jet black is a
bluer black (I have a pot with I will photograph).
White is also very opaque and works well with
sgraffito and mishima techniques. I also used the red
brown. I did not use the dark green at all.

These are available from Sax and many other art supply well as directly from Amaco. They take
the guess work out. I would still recommend doing some
test tile samples before using them with kids. Buy one
of each color you are considering and experiment. They
come in dry can only mix a little at a
time...They are lead free and give opaque coverage.
Dark Blue does have a "cautionary label" - probably
becaseu of cobalt. Where a mask when mixing.

My Sax catalog is old -- they are on page 364 in mine
- so look around where the glazes are listed.

Another easy way to get some basic slips is to have a
professor at a nearby college make some for
you(smile). I had a professor at Ohio Northern make
some for me - cost very little money (he may have done
them for free?). I used them for years at the local
art resource center. I had him make white, black and
blue. Pick up the phone - it is worth a try.

Judy Decker

Do you Yahoo!?