Re: re Micheal Moore

---------

From: Woody Duncan (woodyduncan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Oct 06 2004 - 08:05:47 PDT

Randy Menninghaus wrote:
> Maine has a referendum vote up this November
> that if passed will cap property taxes at 1 % using 1996 house evaluations.
> One third of our staff will be gone. All 4 art teachers (k-12) gone. 50%
> of the existing budget gone. All service people police, fire, emergency
> staff in our area cut by a third. It's a very dire situation. Class sizes
> could go to 40-50. Sound familiar? The person who drafted it took it
> directly from California.

Yes, California was hurt by limiting their taxing ability. But property taxes
are the wrong way to fund schools. If the lid goes on then you must lobby
for other sources of funds. A friend of mine (in 1968) used to explain that
if the military was funded by a property tax we would have had very few
wars. Yes I was fighting against that war as well. I'm dating myself here.
                                Woody, Retired in Albuquerque

--
35 Quality Middle School Art Lessons
Ordering Address: PO Box 91703