Exhibits: Eisner: documenting the artistic process

---------

TwoDucks_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Wed Oct 06 2004 - 04:24:04 PDT

In a message dated 10/3/04 12:05:18 PM, Nnaell@aol.com writes:

> Because
> we have not developed strategies for documenting the artistic processes we
> lead our students through, we are playing catch-up to those
> teachers/administrators who are used to documenting on a daily basis.

I found the quote which I had misplaced to add a postscript to this thread...
 ART EXHIBITS
“One of the most important services teachers and school administrators can
perform is public education…the education of the public outside of schools,
parents and members of the community…If the public misconceives the educational
functions of the arts, if it believes they are a diversion from what is really
important, arts educators will have a hard time securing the resources they
need to provide really substantive arts programs to students.

“How can such a form of public education go forward? One way is to help the
community understand the forms of thinking reflected in students’ work in the
arts…what contributes to such understanding is the design of what I have called
the educationally interpretive exhibition. Most exhibitions of children’s art
are modeled after a gallery display; the best works are usually displayed
with nothing more than the child’s name, grade and school provided. What I have
suggested is the creation of educationally interpretive exhibitions that
explain to viewers the features of the work on display and describe the forms of
thinking that the child had to engage in to create such work…this could include
the child’s interpretation and appraisal of his or her own work. “

Elliot Eisner
The Arts and the Creation of Mind
New Haven: Yale University Press
2002