Re: Sgraffito: how to?

---------

From: marcia (marciadotcom_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Oct 05 2004 - 19:24:29 PDT

Justin,
Thanks for your explanation.. those pots really are wonderful. What is the clay body stain (what is the brand name, etc.. so I can find it in a catalog)? Also, would the slip mix work if I blended terracotta clay with the clay body stain? Thanks for your advice. Marcia

Justin Kramer <bern30@optusnet.com.au> wrote:
Marcia,

I use a mid-fire terracotta clay (fires to a earthy red colour). When the students have finished handbuilding and the clay is leather hard they apply a coloured slip. The coloured slip is made from white earthenware (usually dried pieces leftover from other project that is put into a blender with water to make the slip). Added to the white slip is a clay body stain - you can get a range of colours including blues, reds, oranges, yellow, green, etc. This is applied thinly onto the surface. It is easier and healthier to scratch into the surface of the clay while it is still leather hard - i.e. before it is completely dry this avoids making fine dust.

Hope this helps

Justin