Re: Teaching art is important to us ....Yes ALL of us

---------

From: Woody Duncan (woodyduncan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Oct 05 2004 - 17:35:02 PDT

In a message dated 10/04/2004 4:40:10 PM Central Daylight Time,
hdd@xtra.co.nz writes:

      Judy, I read ALL your postings, but rarely reply as the situation
is so
      different for us here in New Zealand.
      Visual arts are very HIGHLY regarded and in most schools
      extremely well funded and supported.

Well, that's it. We're all moving to New Zealand! LoL I deal with, "I
don't want to get messy...
Art's not important... I don't care what grade I get here... This is
stupid... etc. etc. etc."

Woody's Response:
        I'm glad to hear that art programs are well supported in New Zealand.
But don't let the negative comments of a few students or adults effect the
quality of our programs. Take the pittance they give us and teach with
an attitude
that shows we are the most important part of the curriculum. Greet the students
with a smile and an art exemplar every day. Show them by the quality of our
enthusiasm that we care about the arts. Just like the Baseball field in
the mist of
corn country. "If you build it they will come." And, they will love it
and respond.
We all would love to have $10,000 budgets and a computer terminal for
every
student. We would hope that students and parents would line up to be in art
classes. They don't automatically do that. But they will if we work at it.
And, the work is a labor of love so enjoy it.
                                        Woody, Retired in Albuquerque

--
35 Quality Middle School Art Lessons
Ordering Address: PO Box 91703