Re: Mason Oxides/stains - with Majolica

---------

From: Judith Decker (jdecker4art_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Oct 05 2004 - 11:40:48 PDT

Vivian,

I know I have this link somewhere on IAD....
http://grafik.sdsu.edu/ceramicsweb/articles/arbucklemajolica.html

Linda Arbuckle is a "guru" of majolica technique.

Here is a handout by Linda Arbuckle:
http://plaza.ufl.edu/arbuck/Majolica%20Handout.html

I will beef up decorating techniques soon. Marsha in
Florida is working on decorating techniques with her
student this year, too.

Vivian, I highly recommend taking a class at Arrowmont
in Gatlinburg, Tennessee to learn how to use mason
stains in glazing. They offer several low fire glaze
classes each summer. Linda has even taught some.
Steven Howell is another one to watch for. Just about
any low fire decorating class will be helpful.

I just looked up Steve Howell - and found this
interesting monoprint technique:
http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0HTZ/is_3_134/ai_110360200

Clay art thread are a source for more information on
Mason stains.

List of Mason stains:
http://www.milehiceramics.com/mason_stains.htm
Chart that shows approx colors: