Re: Mason Oxides/stains - Vivian - how soon?

---------

From: Judith Decker (jdecker4art_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Oct 05 2004 - 10:47:42 PDT

Greetings Vivan,

How soon do you need information? You can see Marvin's
post and Justin Post for Sgraffito for slips/engobes.
Slip is applied to Leather hard clay. You don't apply
slip to bisqued ceramics. I imagine there are some
basic underglaze recipes out there that use Mason
Stains. Underglazes can be applied to greenware or
bisqued ware. I had a recipe that is long gone now.
There are probably some good recipes out there for
Majolica glaze too using Mason stains.

Stains are great for making textures show- brush on
them wipe off. The texture holds the stain. I used
iron oxide a lot for this.

I did ask Marvin if he has some information already
ready on this topic. I would like to add decorating
techniques to a traditinal coil lesson (suing
templates).

I used mainly Amaco and Sax glazes and underglazes
with my students...also Amaco engobes (slips). My
glaze chemistry skills were rusty. Even though all of
Amaco products are tried and true - I still did test
tiles before using them on projects with kids. Make
sure you test all of your glaze recipes first.

Are there any ceramic artist in your area who may be
able to provide a good basic glaze recipe?

Judy Decker