Re: Sgraffito: how to?

---------

From: Justin Kramer (bern30_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Oct 05 2004 - 16:25:10 PDT

Marcia,

I use a mid-fire terracotta clay (fires to a earthy red colour). When the
students have finished handbuilding and the clay is leather hard they apply
a coloured slip. The coloured slip is made from white earthenware (usually
dried pieces leftover from other project that is put into a blender with
water to make the slip). Added to the white slip is a clay body stain - you
can get a range of colours including blues, reds, oranges, yellow, green,
etc. This is applied thinly onto the surface. It is easier and healthier to
scratch into the surface of the clay while it is still leather hard - i.e.
before it is completely dry this avoids making fine dust.

Hope this helps

Justin