RE: Teaching art is important to us ....Yes ALL of us

---------

From: JIm & JIll Hodgins (hdd_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Oct 04 2004 - 14:39:42 PDT

-----Original Message-----
From: Judith Decker [mailto:jdecker4art@yahoo.com]
Sent: Tuesday, 5 October 2004 4:13 a.m.
To: ArtsEdNet Talk
Subject: Re: Teaching art is important to us ....Yes ALL of us

Judy, I read ALL your postings, but rarely reply as the situation is so
different for us here in New Zealand.
        Visual arts are very HIGHLY regarded and in most schools
extremely well funded and supported.
        Unfortunately, I really don't know how this has come about!!
        The arts in general are really flourishing. Maybe because of our
very small population (4 million total), and our physical remoteness, we
have worked hard at developing these enriching areas of life. Remember,
it's a VERY long way to visit the galleries of New York or Europe!!
        Anyway, hello to you all, keep up the great work you are all
doing.
        Jil in NZ

What are some issues around the world? How do you deal
with those in your classroom? What can we do to effect
changing attitudes and insure there will be jobs.

Are visual arts programs and funding being cut around
the world? Is this a global issue?

Visual Art is the one subject that has the BEST chance
of meeting the needs of At Risk students - yet
programs continue to be cut.

Best wishes with your presentations, Sharon. Let us
know what these young people think who are entering
the profession now.

Regards,

Judy Decker