Objective: To create a design using a detailed drawing
reversing positive and negative space.
5 1/2 inch squares newsprint or copy paper
18 x 18 inch squares good quality white paper
Sharpie markers and fat permanent markers
1. Draw a bug that fills a 5 1/2 inch square paper.
Use plenty of shape details, no plain lines.
2. Go over the drawing in marker. Trace on 18 x 18
inch square of white paper in a popcorn pattern.
3. Fill in small bug drawing in a positive pattern.
Color in some shapes black and leave some white.
4. Cut out a geometric shape from a 6 inch piece of
5. Trace shape on large square of popcorned bugs,
with at least one shape overlapping each bug.
6. Color in the bugs on the large pattern with space
reversal. Color all areas of the bug OUTSIDE the
shapes the same as your positive pattern (the color
pattern on the original 5 1/2 inch piece). All areas
INSIDE the shape should be colored in the exact