Re: SMART Goals and assessment-and differentiation

---------

KJODesign_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Mon Oct 04 2004 - 06:10:56 PDT

In a message dated 10/04/2004 7:28:29 AM Central Daylight Time,
TwoDucks@aol.com writes:

> You will get LOTS of help here! this is a very generous group of art
> educators. Some questions:
> 1. How old are your students?

For art I have over 200 art students, mostly grades 3-9. It's a strange mix.
 T&Th mornings I teach 8-9th grade. T&Th afternoons I teach 3-7th grade,
mostly 6-7th. Then M&W afternoons I teach a special group. Basically it's they
get placed if they are messing up in school and in school suspension doesn't
work. This is a mixed group grades 3-12th. They only are there 30-60 days
unless they get put back again. I try to keep this group following the same
curriculum so those that go back into my regular classes will be in the approximate
same place. Any other time I'm a floating tutor.

> 2. How many per class/how many classes per day/week?

Each group meets twice a week for a half hour. However, low attendance and
counseling sessions makes it so some students come sporadically.

> 3. What is this skills test that they take next year? Is this an art skills
> test? If so, what is on that?

I was talking about the pass skills with No Child Left Behind. This year,
they dropped art. Next year it will be back in as a core curriculum, from what I
understand.

> 4. What is your room like: do you share it? do you have space?

My main room (T&Th full days) is mine. I have space. Then for my M&W
classes I cart my supplies with me and share a room.

> 5. What sort of supplies/budget are you dealing with?

I have a lot of paper, drawing paper, watercolor, black charcoal, large
manilla (same stiffness as the manilla folders), Bristol board, some nice drawing
paper, some manilla colored paper that's a bit rougher than newsprint, a small
amount of large newsprint, and some large paper that says Dull, but seems
glossy and has references to printmaking on the box. (I do not have the inventory
list. Just based upon what I can decipher out of the boxes) And some peach
colored paper. We have assigned sketchbooks but with the large influx of
students I might run out.

I should have enough scratchboard for one project.
WC paper and 8 color cake strips of WC.
A lot of tempera paint.
Some matboard, white & black.
Glue, Soft pastels, Oil Pastels, Washable Markers, Crayons, scissors, no
colored pencils and no... crud, brain freeze here... the chalk like conte crayons
in earth colors?
Soft Cut foam for block prints and small print paper with register marks,
brayers, ink, safety cutters.
Tons of water clay and a new kiln but it's not hooked up yet. We still need
to figure out the vent and where to put it.
A ton of Plaster of Paris. A few rolls of plaster gauze rolls.

My loosely based curriculum has the Elements of Art for the 1st Qtr.
Principals of Design for the 2nd. And a quick overview of the Evolution of Art for the
2nd Semester.

Our first project was an art survey & self portrait. Then we moved to
contour line with continuous line, blind contour & gesture. We also worked on the
illusion of form (shading) with a quick still life. I bought Mary Jane candy
(those Halloween peanut butter filled caramels in the orange & black wrappers)
and put two in a Dixie cup each. They got to eat the candy after drawing
them. That project went very well. The kids also got a kick out of telling
everyone that I gave them all Mary Jane in class. LoL Admin found it amusing as
well. I am lucky to have great admins. As well as some worksheets. I used IAD
for shape, line & form. Then our first large project that I'm rethinking was
paper mache masks over a balloon base for Mexican Heritage Month They had to
come up with 8 thumbnails prior to starting. I spent the weekend making 100
paper mache bases to replace the ones that have gotten destroyed. :::sigh:::
We'll be painting them this week. Our next project is a quickie where we'll
be decorating their food drive boxes. One for each group.

> Two bits of advice without knowing any of the above information:
> 1. Keep it simple. The simplest (or should we say most elegant) lesson will
> allow more of the student to come out in the work and will not drive you
> crazy by dragging on too long.
> 2. At-risk students are capable of making the most exciting, edgy art. Be
> ready for some very exciting outcomes!
> welcome to the group and to the most exciting job in education.

Thank you so much for your advice and assistance. Are there any ready made
curriculums? It would be much easier to adapt a ready made one than to create
from scratch.

K. Montoya
Desperate for classroom control! LoL

---