In a message dated 10/4/2004 7:16:28 AM Eastern Daylight Time, KJODesign@aol.com writes:
I am working in a school for At-Risk kids and
>am really working on this very steep learning curve. >>
You will get LOTS of help here! this is a very generous group of art educators. Some questions:
1. How old are your students?
2. How many per class/how many classes per day/week?
3. What is this skills test that they take next year? Is this an art skills test? If so, what is on that?
4. What is your room like: do you share it? do you have space?
5. What sort of supplies/budget are you dealing with?
Two bits of advice without knowing any of the above information:
1. Keep it simple. The simplest (or should we say most elegant) lesson will allow more of the student to come out in the work and will not drive you crazy by dragging on too long.
2. At-risk students are capable of making the most exciting, edgy art. Be ready for some very exciting outcomes!
welcome to the group and to the most exciting job in education.