Re: SMART Goals and assessment-and differentiation

---------

KJODesign_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Mon Oct 04 2004 - 04:16:28 PDT

In a message dated 10/03/2004 2:29:36 PM Central Daylight Time,
TwoDucks@aol.com writes:

> Department of Education funded best practice in education website:
> http://knowledgeloom.org
> click on "choice-based art"
> Contains stories, research summaries, replication tips, internet resources
> on personalized learning.

Hello,

I'm new to the group and have spent the last week reading whenever I have
time. I am a new teacher without educational training. I have a BFA in Studio
Art and a couple classes in Child Development. As I'm in a charter school, I
am not required to be certified. I am working in a school for At-Risk kids and
am really working on this very steep learning curve. My classes are only 30
minutes, twice a week. Counseling takes priority over classes at this school
and often some kids can only come sporadically. This year only they will not
have to take the pass skills for the arts. Next year I'll need to be able to
prep them for their pass skills. I have to develop my own curriculum and this
has been taking a HUGE amount of time and is not going well yet. I had a
project that we are finishing up and it's taking way too long due to poor
classroom management skills. I'm working on those ASAP. I have the head knowledge
but am working on the practical application of the various ideas. Anyhoo, I've
skimmed the article at knowledgeloom.org and printed it out to read more in
depth today.

My question is, does anyone know about how to find a ready made curriculum
designed for at risk kids with short class periods? I teach mostly grades 3-9.

Thanks!
K. Montoya

---