RE: SMART Goals and assessment-and differentiation

---------

From: Jean King (jdking_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Oct 03 2004 - 16:13:19 PDT

Hi, Sandy,
My job title used to be Vanguard (read gifted and talented)
multicultural art teacher. Now I'm just a plain vanilla art teacher.
;-)

The first time I was told that I had to show differentiation in my
lesson plans I was completely baffled. After attending GT conferences
for about six years I finally found information that I could use in
fulfilling this requirement.

Bertie Kilgore is the queen of differentiation. She lectures all over
the place at GT conferences and she has tons of books she's
self-published. She states quite simply that art is inherently
differentiated.

In this case, differentiating is done pretty simply. You already do it,
you just don't know it. If you give the instructions aloud (auditory
learners), demonstrate the instructions (visual learners), show examples
of the instructions and artists works (visual learners), have the
students follow the instructions (kinesthetic learners), allow students
to peer tutor (students who get it work with students who don't) and
have extensions for those early finishers, you have basically covered
all your bases. This also takes care of some, if not all, of the
modifications required for both GT and special ed students.

Jean King
Just an art teacher in Houston, Texas