differentiation: Sandy

---------

From: Elizabeth Heisey (eheisey_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Oct 03 2004 - 13:49:28 PDT

I think differentiated instruction can be any time you are stepping
outside (to the right or the left) of your 'lesson plan'. It is when
you realize you are not reaching everyone and so you have a small group
meet informally with further instruction. It is when you place a more
experienced student next to someone who tends to struggle. So these are
kind of 'on the fly' approaches.
But it is better to plan for it. It is how much you formalize their
helping relationship. It is how you consider more than one learning
style as you plan your lesson. For me in art, I just always ask, what
other learning styles (other than visual and intrapersonal) am I
looking to engage? I make sure I try for about 2 more of those famous
8. Consider the book of art games that was mentioned recently.
Interpersonal skills abound in those working with honing their theory
ideas. Or the multitude of assessment types in Beattie's book. She has
students writing very quick assessments or questions, and this takes
you to another learning style. But I think differentiated instruction
is also the term for what you do with very needy students coming into
your room. For me, considering what I do to differentiate always adds a
richness, an unexpected dimension to my lessons.
Beth

On Oct 3, 2004, at 3:01 PM, Smjahnle@aol.com wrote:

> I am reading this thread with interest, hoping that it might help with
> MY school's topic for re-accreditation:  differentiated instruction.
> I must write a lesson that specifies how I differentiate my
> instruction for the different learning styles of my students (720).  I
> am also finding lots of info on this general topic, but very few
> examples with Art asthe subject!  Any sugg

---