Re: SMART Goals and assessment

---------

TwoDucks_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Sun Oct 03 2004 - 09:36:23 PDT

In a message dated 10/3/04 12:05:18 PM, Nnaell@aol.com writes:

> Because
> we have not developed strategies for documenting the artistic processes we
> lead our students through, we are playing catch-up to those
> teachers/administrators who are used to documenting on a daily basis.

Excellent point! Again, I believe that if we are proactive we may be able
to create some parts of the documentation that are in sinc with the art
processes:

1. What Eisner calls "Interpretive exhibits" which go far beyond the bulletin
board of 25 crayon resist fish and include authentic work with LOTS of artist
statements.
2. Portfolios, which many of us use now, that can go back and forth to
parents with guidelines for parent/child dialogue about the work contained therein.
3. With special assessment documents which speak to the art processes rather
than to a grade of 87.5 or whatever. See http://knowledgeloom.org/tab click
on assessment
4. With teaching our students explicitly the skills of self assessment
without which artists cannot truly function.

This is an important and exciting topic: what do you think?
kathy douglas

---