Re: SMART Goals

---------

TwoDucks_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Sun Oct 03 2004 - 07:09:17 PDT

In a message dated 10/2/04 8:56:20 PM, holmgren@lakedalelink.net writes:

> Strategic, Measurable, Attainable, Results-oriented, and Timebound.

Is there some way we studio teachers can brainstorm our own proactive version
of this:
1. Strategic: How does an artist plan for art making: sketchbooks,
observation, studying work of pertinent artists, warming up with materials, etc.
2. Measurable: art work has a very concrete bottom line--at the end of all
the prep and work there is an art work: a pot which holds together, a collage
which grabs our interest, a poster which gets its message across, a piece of
fabric, an engaging landscape...
3. Attainable: as studio teachers it is incumbent upon us to understand
deeply the cognative and ability level which our students bring to us and to create
our teaching practice around that.
4. Results: yes! studio teachers get wonderful results, often of a lasting
nature. (how many art works continue to have worth longer than a spelling
test?)
5. Timebound: no one is more timebound than a studio art teacher in a public
school. We set up the circumstances so that students can make images and
structures in an amazingly limited time.

Perhaps I am misunderstanding all of this, but it seems to me that if we
attempt to be writing teachers or history teachers we will always be playing
"catch up" and our students will not be achieving as artists. Artmaking is a full
blown discipline, with demanding behaviors and as much content as any academic
domain could want. I would love to hear from Marvin Bartel on this topic as
he is way ahead of me in this department.

kathy douglas

---