Re: SMART Goals

---------

From: judy nash (turtlesoup4u_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Oct 03 2004 - 06:54:50 PDT

Oh I agree that we have been overwhelmed with paperwork and testing etc.....I just hadn't heard this term as yet. It seems like everything that we were taught in school.(and was required that we learn) now has a new "title" applied to it. Essays are now called open response questions and had to be part of the allied arts curriculum. Writing prompts are also a term we hear a lot. Just recently we were told that these two terms have been replaced by something else. The allied arts teachers now have to put "fluency writing" into our curriculum and have to correct and grade them. All of this is part of a district wide plan to improve reading and writing. I am all for improving these skills but wonder when in the past 3 decades it was ok to let these skills slide in the classrooms. I incorporate reading and writing in as much of my curriculum as I can and will do as much as I can to enforce these necessary skills.... but... "smart goals" was one that I had not heard of.

wellj44@netscape.net wrote:judy nash wrote:

>I haven't heard of "smart goals" but am curious as to what it is. At my school, we have instituted a "program" for just about every idea that comes up.

I have to reply. Judy Nash, my heart goes out to you. Don't you feel that sometimes our school administrators (all the way up to the state level) are at the mercy of shrewd marketing, easy fixes, and software reps? For every scenario (or dare I say 'issue'), there's a thick booklet, workshop, list of committee meetings, questionaires (to verify participation and compliance). Well I feel better for getting that off my chest. Thanks all. J.

Switch to Netscape Internet Service.

Netscape. Just the Net You Need.