Some answers for you about Spyware Removal Tools

---------

From: Judith Decker (jdecker4art_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Oct 02 2004 - 12:06:28 PDT

Dear Art Educators,

This is good to know...for those who surf the web
frequently.

I posted a question to Ed Tech list asking about the
need for all three of these free software tools:

Ad-aware 6.0
SpywareBlaster
Spybot Search and Destroy

All come highly recommended...have no imbedded spyware
withine the software. And none of them block my
viewing of Linda Woods school art site (a concern we
had a while back). I use all three in combination and
got a answer back from a Pro on what she recomments.

Here is Fran's web site:
http://www.gammawgeek.us

The only thing I do differently than Fran recommends
is to clear my Internet cache and cookies first.

Fran gave me permission to share this (Last name left
off as she doesn't have tha on her site).

From Fran B:

If you use them as I show below there should be no
problems with your system slowing down. Here is how I
do it:

1. Go online and update all 3 of these programs so
that when you start you will have up to date
definitions. Disconnect from the Internet.

2. Assuming that we are cleaning a system versus
protecting a new system, the first one I would run is
Adaware SE. Click Scan Now and do a full system
scan this time. After scanning your system - Looking
at the window that shows there will be several tabs at
the top of the window. Click on the first tab (Scan
Summary) and make sure EVERYTHING has a checkmark
beside it. Now go to the second tab (Critical Objects)
and make sure everything there
has a checkmark beside it. Now click next and it will
ask is it OK to remove ## Objects - Click ok and let
it remove all.

3. Now run Spybot Search and Destroy. In the opening
window, Click on the button - Check for Problems - and
let it scan your system. After scanning
make sure everything it find is checked and click on
Fix Selected Problems. After finishing this step,
click on the IMMUNIZE button. Immunizing will set
a killbit in the registry that will prevent specific
spywares from installing to your computer. Everytime
you update your definitions for the program, you will
need to run this again so it can immunize for anything
new that was added in the updates. Also put a check
mark beside "Browser Helper to block bad downloads in
IE". This is another prevention tool.

4. Last but not least - SpywareBlaster. This is also
an immunization tool and will immunize for things that
SpyBot misses. Enable protection for Internet Explorer
(whether you use it or not) and enable protection for
restricted sites.To do this, click on the appropriate
tab and put a check mark in the boxes on that tab,
then click protect against checked items.If you are
using Foxfire or Mozilla, you can enable the
protection for those also.
SpywareBlaster also has other tools that you can use.
I would suggest exploring the program and seeing if
there is anything else you might want to use.

After doing all of this, your system should be
reasonably protected. Depending on how much you use
the Internet, you should update your programs
about once a week or so and run scans about once a
week or whenever you suspect a problem.
This answer was just too good for "my eyes only". Hope
it helps someone else out there.

Sincerely,

Judy Decker