Art Debate "Art is the MOST Important Subject in School" (and VOTE)

---------

From: Judith Decker (jdecker4art_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Oct 02 2004 - 07:19:17 PDT

Dear ArtsEDNetters,

First VOTE!

Get students to exercise THEIR right to VOTE! Get them
all registered. October 4 is deadline for mail
registration in Ohio..Find out deadlines for walk in
registrations and get those 18 year old kids signed
up.

Art is the most important subject in school....
It just makes sense. Through art you can teach social
studies -History now makes sense!.... about literature
- use art to teach the classics.... you can teach
science concepts - now chemistry makes sense - give
practical applications of chemistry....teach
archaeology/anthropology.....Teach math skills and
give practical applications....Get the kiddies
debating the VALUE of art and why they just don't want
to give up this MOST valuable subject. KIDS need to
change parent views or things will never change. Those
kinds on teh side that Art is most important will at
least win over their parents (smile). Oh, I know this
isn't really a good debate topic cause then half the
kids would have to say art is just a frill and
unecessary and I don't want any kid debating that
topic.

USA can NOT afford to have more art programs cut. It
doesn't make sense to have more mathematicians and
scientists when you don't have designers to come up
with the product and package design.

This is one "soap box" where I will always
stand....Art came first as communication....Art is out
best chance of bringing this world together.

Judy Decker