Re: art class cancellations VOTE!

---------

From: Sharon Henneborn (heneborn_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Oct 01 2004 - 19:59:51 PDT

I hope you are all going to let your worries be expressed in your vote.

I have been on this soap box before but this drive to reduce public
schools will not stop until vouchers are firmly in place and it is too
late to bring back the public schools. I hope the art, music,
counselors, home economics, shop, etc. teachers can see that they will
be first. Do the classroom teachers see that they will follow close
behind??? The plan is in place to get vouchers seen as the only way to
save education since the public schools are failing miserably. I hope
teachers can see beyond the immediate problem in the trees and see that
the forest is on fire and our homes are burning! Just look at the
damage done in only 4 years. Schools will not survive 4 more.
Sharon in NJ

From: Jancy & Mike Cossin <jmcossin@yahoo.com>

This is already happening in the state of Ohio. I teach middle school.
This year they eliminated all 6th grade art and are hitting the
teachers hot and heavy about test scores. A guidance counselor was
going to a workshop this week and she had to justify "how her
attendance at this workshop was going to help raise test scores". In
their discussions of courses they make comments like "we're talking
about the skills based courses - like writing and math." They don't
even mention the arts. I'm getting an awful feeling about it all. I
expect more and more to be cut out in the future. It's pretty sad that
the state of the union makes good teachers ask themselves what other
career paths they could travel.
Jancy in Ohio
Teresa Sheffey <Tsheffey@episd.org> wrote:
I think it is a bigger problem. See the front page of the NAEA news
talking about Bush's No Child Left Behind Act and it's effect on the
arts. Principals (especially in minority areas) are emphasizing math
and science and cutting funds for art programs. 47% of principals
expect the cuts to continue in the future. It is somewhat scary and I
hope doesn't become a bigger trend.
Teresa in El Paso Tx

---