Re: art class cancellations

---------

From: Jancy & Mike Cossin (jmcossin_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Oct 01 2004 - 11:52:04 PDT

This is already happening in the state of Ohio. I teach middle school. This year they eliminated all 6th grade art and are hitting the teachers hot and heavy about test scores. A guidance counselor was going to a workshop this week and she had to justify "how her attendance at this workshop was going to help raise test scores". In their discussions of courses they make comments like "we're talking about the skills based courses - like writing and math." They don't even mention the arts. I'm getting an awful feeling about it all. I expect more and more to be cut out in the future. It's pretty sad that the state of the union makes good teachers ask themselves what other career paths they could travel.
Jancy in Ohio

Teresa Sheffey <Tsheffey@episd.org> wrote:
I think it is a bigger problem. See the front page of the NAEA news
talking about Bush's No Child Left Behind Act and it's effect on the
arts. Principals (especially in minority areas) are emphasizing math and
science and cutting funds for art programs. 47% of principals expect the
cuts to continue in the future. It is somewhat scary and I hope doesn't
become a bigger trend.
Teresa in El Paso Tx