computers in the art room

---------

From: Hillmer, Jan (HillmJan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Oct 01 2004 - 04:47:23 PDT

Jackie, I have a similar situation, but with 4th and 5th grade students
(that's as high as I go). They are required to get laptops as a part of
our curriculum. In fact, Wed. night was 'Open the Box Night" for 4th
grade students. My quest is to find a good balance between the computer
art exploration (simple - mostly just Paint) and more traditional ways
to do art. Right now, I lean away from the computer since the kids are
so young. I feel they have not yet done lots of hands on techniques. We
do a few small computer art projects with 4th grade pretty quickly after
they get the laptops. (See IAD) In 5th grade, I use it more as research
vehicle.
I'm open to some discussion on this.

Jan