Re: Pantomine a lesson?

---------

From: Ann Heineman (aiheineman_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Oct 31 2003 - 07:15:23 PST

    When I got laryngitis and my voice was gone, I would pin a sign to my
clothes that said "No voice today, read my lips." It worked, even with the
school staff! I used pantomine as well in ordinary circumstances, such as
the chatty students symdrome. There is nothing wrong with being outrageous
and using creative discipline from time to time.
    Maggie, why does your post-licensure art ed program say this is
contrary? What suggestions does it offer?

                Ann-on-y-mouse in Columbus
                Art teacher, K-5, retired

so I began pantomining the lesson,
> holding up colors, labeling what I was doing on the paper, and only very
> rarely giving miniminal verbal instructions. They settled right down.
> This went completely contrary to what I learned in my post-licensure art ed
> program--have any of you every done something like this? It felt
> outrageous--but really, really good that they were paying attention!
> Maggie Tucker

---