Re: blame it on the coronal mass ejections*g*

---------

From: Linda White (linda.c.white_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Oct 31 2003 - 04:28:01 PST

Thought you all might like this. Linda in OK

The following comes from http://www.spaceweather.com/ :

SEVERE SOLAR ACTIVITY: One of the most powerful solar flares in years, a
remarkable category explosion, erupted from sunspot 486 this morning at
approximately 1110 UT. A strong solar radiation storm is in progress.

The explosion hurled a coronal mass ejection almost directly toward Earth.

When it left the sun, the cloud was traveling 2125 km/s (more than 4 million
mph).

The CME could trigger bright auroras (even in Oklahoma) when it sweeps past
Earth perhaps as early as tonight.

We may be in for some good aurora watching if these clouds disappear...

***************

Record-setting Solar Flares

      This list is based in part on "Large Solar Flares Since 1976" compiled
by IPS Radio & Space Services.

            Ranking Day/Month/Year X-Ray Class

  1 02/04/01 X20.0
  1 16/08/89 X20.0