Re: Need help with some wording.....

---------

From: Maggie White (mwhiteaz_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Oct 30 2003 - 19:10:54 PST

Betty Bowen wrote:
> I agree with Sid, its not the name. You are making "Honors" mean something and
> that may take a year or two.
>
> When I got to this job, the previous teacher had cried every day, and the kids
> thought it was a free-for-all hour where they could go nuts and have the fun
> of leaving me sobbing. I found this expectation fairly amusing, but it was a
> hard year. Year four is so calm and peaceful (so far). Attrition is a
> wonderful thing.

Thanks for reminding me of this. I've been fighting the fond memories
the 8th graders have for their previous teacher, who apparently had
quite a jolly classroom (as in: little structure, lots of fun, "happy
hands" activities). The 7th graders from both quarters have been more
cooperative. This very same thing happened to me when I went from elem.
to HS in the same district, again following a teacher who had virtually
no curriculum. It took about three years before I could really start
rockin' and rollin'.

Maggie

---