Re: Evaluting art teachers

---------

PrimaryE_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Thu Oct 30 2003 - 02:53:55 PST

When I taught high school I found that it was requested of me to make a
formal presentation which included art history, introducing a lesson, showing how
to do it, and getting the students started on the new lesson. I tried having
the administrator who was observing me watch when we were into at least day 2
of an assignment when I did what I do most of the time. That's to go from one
child to the next and help them and also bring things to the class's attention
that come up at the moment that would be helpful. I never felt that the
observer got a true picture of what I do day in and day out.

I can't leave without telling you about one observation I had that was pretty
funny...well I'm being kind when I say funny. I was observed. I was
introducing graphic terms to a printmaking class. The lesson was set up as a review
for the kids and a formal presentation for the observer. I showed examples of
etchings and/or wooodcuts...can't remember which. I showed all the tools.
The students started their sketches. Anyway, at the end, he said to me...that
was an interesting painting lesson you gave. I realized he had no idea what I
was talking about and further had not listened to a word I said. lol. So
be it for observations. (In all fairness, he wound up in the hospital a few
days later. Maybe his mind was on other things.)

Another time an administrator suggested, after an observation, that I should
have given out a handout and had the students read it outloud. The next time
he observed me I used a handout. In my evaluation he wrote that I shouldn't
have used a handout.

We all know if we are good teachers. Actually the best advice I can give is
try to relax and be yourself during an observation.

In a message dated 10/29/03 5:10:05 PM Eastern Standard Time,
Jon.Hartman@dc.k12.mn.us writes:

> What is the most helpful part of your evaluation?
>
> what things are not helpful (but covered anyway)?

---