Re: colonial american weaving

---------

From: Maggie White (mwhiteaz_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Oct 29 2003 - 19:33:17 PST

Samantha Wilmoth wrote:

> When i have my students weave bags, i know there are two ways to finish off the top,
> but the only one i am familiar with is to leave about an inch at the
top and the cut the

> vertical strands(warp) and then tie them to the next adjacent one..it gives it a fringey

> kind of look that most of the kids like. I think the other way is to somehow...like crochet

> it? Like casting off? Am not sure how you would get it off the loom tho'

Samantha,

Before you take the piece off the loom, do a chain stitch as your last
row. It's the same as a crochet chain, but you don't need the hook. If
you're not sure how to do this, e-mail me privately and I'll try to
coach you. Afterwards, if you're using the chipboard looms, you can
untie the end of the first warp and then carefully slip the warp loops
off the tabs of the loom. The tabs will bend but the loom is still
useable; in fact, it's actually a little easier to use. The chain
stitch will keep the loops from slipping back through the weft. You can
add lush fringe to the loops and then scooch the weft towards the ends
to hide the warps.

Hope this makes sense!

Maggie

---