Re: student with broken arm

---------

From: Maggie White (mwhiteaz_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Oct 29 2003 - 05:00:22 PST

Jane Altshuler wrote:

> I had a student for three years who had only one arm. He did everything.
> When I anticipated that he may need assistance I simply sat next to him
> and took cues from him about what he needed.

This is my strategy for any student with a temporaray or permanent
handicap. I concentrate on what they CAN do, not on what they CAN'T.
I've had numerous mainstreamed students over the years and I only adjust
the assignment on an as-needed basis; I refuse to write separate lessons
for them. I think this makes them feel more valued as students, and
more a part of the class, and they've produced work that has surprised a
lot of people who didn't know they could do things like that (including
teachers and therapists who've worked with them for years).

Maggie

---