Preserving food

---------

From: Melissa (meemo_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Oct 28 2003 - 19:40:58 PST

Okay here is a good question.
Is there some possible way to preserve food?

I want my Drawing and Painting 2 class to paint a still life of a cake. A
slice missing from the cake on a plate and a pie also sliced. A sort of
like "food still life". I know this won't keep long so I was trying to
figure out some way of preserving it for a while.

Could I spray it all with clear coat sealer?

I also thought about freezing it daily as we work on the paintings and then
just trashing it later. But then it will have to move.

I also thought about having the kids take digital images of the still life
creating their own compositions as they take the photo. Then print them out
and paint from the photos. It's not from real life this way though. But
they could eat all the goodies...

This is a very talented group and I wanted to try something new as a
subject.

Any ideas? Maybe I'm crazy.

Melissa Chaney
Ray-pec High School