RE: colonial american weaving

---------

From: Samantha Wilmoth (phoenixfire_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Oct 28 2003 - 17:18:57 PST

When i have my students weave bags, i know there are two ways to finish off the top,but the only one i am familiar with is to leave about an inch at the top and the cut the vertical strands(warp) and then tie them to the next adjacent one..it gives it a fringey kind of look that most of the kids like. I think the other way is to somehow...like crochet it? Like casting off? Am not sure how you would get it off the loom tho'...will ask the one art teacher here...she has had the kids make small medicine bags,too.
She is one of my personal inspirations btw...is a very very logical person *and* highly creative,too....i always hold her up as an example of how the two mindsets can indeed go hand in hand( you know...when the kids say..i cannot grok math..i am just *too* artistic to be able to understand math*chuckles*)
anyhow...on that note...off i go to get some work done here..
tomorrow we rock and make chalk :)
~Samantha

---