Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

Re: Renee- Arts and literacy.

From: Rick (rlarson_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Oct 28 2003 - 15:17:44 PST

Hi Renee- I had these in a file, and thought they might help. Although
they do not pertain to literacy, exactly- in their own way, they support
learning in all areas.
I compiled them as a response to an article that Mr. Rick Allen had
written in ascd
news saying that children wanted to make marks on paper as a result of
seeing their parents writing. I replied that I felt that kids have an
innate need to express themselves visually,( to create and affect their
environment- also that it helps them to make certain cognitive
connections.) and really I didn't think that it had anything to do with
wanting to write.IMHO
And that art is " the first language' ( we all know that!)
Basically, it was an opportunity to advocate.- sorry so wordy
These have all been posted to the list at one time or another.
Young Children and the Arts: Making Creative Connections

Stages of Artistic Development by Victor Lowenfeld

Tools for Child Development through Art Education:

Psychology Behind Art Education

Philosophy of Art Ed:

The contribution Visual Arts Education offers
in order to enhance Intellectual and Emotional Intelligence.

Connect for Kids- Art Education- focuses on music ed mainly.

Brain- Based Learning

* Critical Links, Learning in the Arts; Research on cognitive
development and art.
Brings together a group of studies of focused on
understanding the cognitive capacities used developed in learning and
practicing the arts and the relationship of those
capacities to students' academic performance and social development.

The Arts and the Creation of Mind" by Elliot Eisner and "Art Matters" by
Eileen S. Prince. ( Book)

AAAE Advocacy Piece: Arts: Essential Education for the 21st Century:
and Opinions - Reports I, II

How the arts contribute to education, an evaluation of research

Young Children and the Arts

The Brain by Maria D'Arcangelo:

What is brain-based learning? - FAQ

Champions of Change: The Impact of the Arts on Learning (AEP release):