Re: Renee- Arts and literacy.

---------

From: Rick (rlarson_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Oct 28 2003 - 15:17:44 PST

Hi Renee- I had these in a file, and thought they might help. Although
they do not pertain to literacy, exactly- in their own way, they support
learning in all areas.
I compiled them as a response to an article that Mr. Rick Allen had
written in ascd
news saying that children wanted to make marks on paper as a result of
seeing their parents writing. I replied that I felt that kids have an
innate need to express themselves visually,( to create and affect their
environment- also that it helps them to make certain cognitive
connections.) and really I didn't think that it had anything to do with
wanting to write.IMHO
And that art is " the first language' ( we all know that!)
Basically, it was an opportunity to advocate.- sorry so wordy
These have all been posted to the list at one time or another.
Betsy
Young Children and the Arts: Making Creative Connections
http://aep-arts.org/YoungChildren.html

Stages of Artistic Development by Victor Lowenfeld
http://www.d.umn.edu/~jbrutger/Lowenf.html

Tools for Child Development through Art Education:
http://wwwed.sturt.flinders.edu.au/DLT/2000/Web/begin.htm

Psychology Behind Art Education
http://wwwed.sturt.flinders.edu.au/DLT/2000/Web/psych.htm

Philosophy of Art Ed:
http://wwwed.sturt.flinders.edu.au/DLT/2000/Web/phil.htm

The contribution Visual Arts Education offers
in order to enhance Intellectual and Emotional Intelligence.
http://members.fortunecity.com/nadabs/visualarts.html

Connect for Kids- Art Education- focuses on music ed mainly.
http://www.connectforkids.org/benton_ftr_text1606/benton_ftr_text_show.htm?doc_id=9422

Brain- Based Learning
http://www.public.iastate.edu/~design/ART/NAB/phil.html

* Critical Links, Learning in the Arts; Research on cognitive
development and art.
http://aep-arts.org/CLTemphome.html
Brings together a group of studies of focused on
understanding the cognitive capacities used developed in learning and
practicing the arts and the relationship of those
capacities to students' academic performance and social development.

The Arts and the Creation of Mind" by Elliot Eisner and "Art Matters" by
Eileen S. Prince. ( Book)

AAAE Advocacy Piece: Arts: Essential Education for the 21st Century:
Facts
and Opinions - Reports I, II
http://artswork.asu.edu/AAAE/Advocacy_Pieces

How the arts contribute to education, an evaluation of research
http://www.aaae.org/research.html

Young Children and the Arts
(1998)
http://aep-arts.org

The Brain by Maria D'Arcangelo:

What is brain-based learning? - FAQ
http://www.ascd.org/pdi/brain/freq.html

Champions of Change: The Impact of the Arts on Learning (AEP release):

* What / How the arts change the learning experience
http://aep-arts.org/Champions.html

Renee.Berg@k12.sd.us wrote:

> Judy, I would like to hear more about your research in the area of
> expressive arts links to early literacy. I am trying to do some
> research on reading in the content area and this would tie in nicely.
> With NCLB and as our budgets get

---