Re: Pit firing

---------

From: Sid Miller (sidmill_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Oct 28 2003 - 12:14:35 PST

We just finished our pit firing--I think it would be great with jr. high kids.
We did the Maria video, made small pots, dried, sanded, painted with red slip,
put on a dab or two of lard, polished with smooth rocks, I put in kiln overnite
at 800 degrees to make sure it was totally hard and dry. We dug a pit, put on
steel grating with wood underneath, put the pots on the grates upsidedown,
covered with pieces of metal, covered with cow pies, lit and fired for about an
hour, covered with horse manure and dirt till all smoke disappeared, let sit for
another hour and dug it up. We got great blacks. It's really fun but a TON of
work for you. Sid

---