RE: colonial american weaving

---------

From: Hillmer, Jan (hillmjan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Oct 28 2003 - 09:51:54 PST

Linda White [linda.c.white@att.net]

Well, with all of the discussion of doing something with the kids without trying it, this is one of those things. However, the theory fits in my mind, if I can only convey that to you.
I'll try as many times as you need to follow me!http://www.art-rageous.net/Weaving.html

I think the trick is in the 4th photo. Instead of wraping the yarn around the cardboard in a circle, you are looping around the tab only , then going back around to the other large side of the loom, reversing the way you came. THere are 2 yarns in each notch, one going around to the next notch and the other coming up from around the back. If there were no loom, but you could see just the threads, they'd look kinda like the binding of some sketchpads. It's called spiral, but it's technically not a spiral. After the wire reaches a certain spot,it actually goes back next to itself, and then on to the next notch. Check out some of your sketch pads and maybe you'll see what I mean.

ANyway, if you set your loom up like this, after you do all of the weaving, you lift the yarn up over the notches, and your weaving should be a pocket!

Let me know if this helps!
Jan