RE: national board certification

---------

From: Sears, Ellen (ESears_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Oct 28 2003 - 08:55:07 PST

We've always been told that the pass rate is 50% - I do know that some
certificates have a better rate than others, Elementary Art is low, low, low
- and I don't know why....

I passed in one year for my EAYA/Art... and am a banker for the Elementary
Art... I won't continue if I don't get it -

Many of the people I work with are concerned about the time - and there are
many people that explain that 'this will be your life - say good-bye to the
family'.... and so on - you know -if you weren't already busy with school
things, you probably wouldn't be successful - you have to be active in the
learning community, can't get by with traditional
textbook/worksheet/handouts... it should complement your classroom routine,
not add a burden.

I have helped a colleague finish her second attempt 4 weeks after her second
child was born, people have endured fires, floods and procrastination (that
would be me... but a friend has me beat by actually taking the box to Texas
in person.... and typing on the plane.)

Some states offer pre-candidacy workshops - check with your state standards
board to see if there is something like that... attend one of the mentoring
workshops to see what it is about....

the timeline will change again next year (registration and due dates) the
mentoring models are changing...

it was a great process - I learned a lot -

Ellen

> Grace posted," There's a 90% failure rate on first timers, which I didn't
> take to heart the first time, and was SORELY disappointed when I didn't
> pass. "
>
> I'm not sure this is entirely accurate. When I did it back in 97-the first
> time for art teachers, I believe, the pass rate was about 30%. It has
> risen steadily since then, probably due to all the networking, workshops,
> banking of scores, etc. "Back in the day" scores were not banked.

---