National Board Certification

---------

From: Amanda Linn (toasterart_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Oct 28 2003 - 07:53:46 PST

When I went through the process, my approach was to
try and make it fit with my usual classroom routine
as much as possible. Meaning, I did written
reflections on most all my lessons to practice
thinking and writing about my teaching. There were 2
videos required- I only taped 3 times- during one of
videos the camera quit so I had to tape another
lesson. My thoughts were that my teaching is- or
should be the same quality every day- now I did make
sure my tapes contained the evidence I needed to write
about in my entries. Keep in mind, NB is not looking
for a "dog and pony show" lesson. The assessors are
more interested in how you can reflect on your
teaching, what difference did it make for students,
how do you know what difference it made and what will
you do differently based on your reflection...or at
least that is how it was explained to me. Yes, it was
time consuming and I spent my Spring break that year
with my nose in the computer trying to meet the
deadline. There are a few teachers in my state (not
art teachers, thankfully) that try to present National
Board Certification as something not attainable by
mere mortals- one woman even made the comment that"if
your Mother is in Intensive Care you better take your
laptop to the hospital if you want to pass". I find
that type of attitude to be very unprofessional and
goes against the spirit in which NB certification was
concieved. I think everyone has to make the choice for
themselves. The NB website it very comprehensive, as
is Wizzlewolf's site. I did pass the first time, and
my score was pretty high- at that time I didn't have a
Master's degree and I don't consider myself to be a
Perfect teacher by any means. In fact from the moment
the shock of certifying wore off, I have spent my time
trying to live up to what the Guidelines of NB
certification say I am and I can do. Now that will
keep you up at night:)
THe more I am asked about the process, I think the key
for my success was to make it a part of my usual
classroom life. I agree with the people who have
posted that it was a very meaningful experience and I
would do it over again in a heartbeat.

Just my opinion,
Amanda

=====
If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear- George Orwell