Re: Need help tonite! ( Plaster mask problems)

---------

From: Patty Phillips (plphillips_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Oct 25 2003 - 12:51:59 PDT

I'm with you , Sharon. I try new techniques and materials right along with
my students all the time. I often dare them to discover something along the
way that I haven't discovered myself.

By the same token, I always warn them when I feel uncomfortable or not very
adept with a particular medium. I don't think my students should get the
idea that I'm super artist and know and can do all. I want them to see that
growing as an artist (and a person) is a life-long process. I want to teach
them to keeping trying if they don't succeed--I even show them some of the
awful stuff I make to illustrate this point.

So, Patty, I teach media and techniques that I haven't mastered because I
want to master them, I learn from teaching and practicing, and my students
often teach me more than any book or any amount of practice on my own.

patty in ky

---