Re: prompts/Japanese food

---------

From: Geoffrey McClain (skygeoff_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Oct 24 2003 - 03:40:31 PDT

Hi Susan,
I think I knew from your very first post that you and I are on the same wavelength. I'm "doing Japan" with all my classes. I always teach that way. It keeps me organized and sane. First they all saw an excellent movie on Japan called "A Kids View of Japan." Kristi Yamaguchi (Olympics skater) is narrator. So far my first graders are painting fish kites, seconds are making a family of origami swans on a paper pond, thirds - fake food, fourths - scrolls of favorite natural places they've visited, and soon my fifths will be doing lino-cut fish prints.
I would dearly love to visit you and your Japan stuff in Long Island. Maybe some weekend my husband and daughter and I could come. I'm not a bit adventurous about driving or I would come by myself. My uncle and his family used to live in Westbury Long Island but I have never been there.
I also wish I could go to the conference in Denver. Wow! Denver! That sounds so cool. I'm really out of sync with people my age. I am 51 and have a six year old. Oh well... it's loads of fun - she lost two front teeth last weekend.
I will try my best to get to the conference - maybe hook up with someone on the list.
I do have quite a nice collection of things Japanese. I taught this unit six years ago. But occasionally I have questions that perhaps you could answer.
LOL ---Sky in NJ