Re: National Board Certification

---------

From: Samantha Wilmoth (phoenixfire_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Oct 23 2003 - 14:34:36 PDT

I will most likely being doing the National Board Certification thing next year. I have checked into it and right now I cannot afford the time it requires. It is a *lot* of work..mainly in the documentation thing. It is however,I think,well worth it if you can free up the time and the initial funds or if your state pays for the fee. In our district there are even workshops at our local university on how to do what is needed, so you might check into that as well.
Good Luck! :)
~Samantha

--- Betsy Heeney <bheeney@mac.com> wrote:
Has anyone done the National Board Certification portfolio? Iam thinking of doing it beginning next month for a portfolio filing in April. If you've done it, could you give me an idea of how intense the process is in terms of committed time outside of school on a weekly basis? I would have only 4 months to put it together. Call me crazy, but my district does pay an additional $2000 a year above the contract salary if you have the certification. I am thinking that I already do what the certification process wants, but I need to document it through visuals and reflective writing components. I am hoping that the payoff will include helping me organize my time in general, and help me become a better teacher through the reflection process. It also will pay off financially in the long run. Does anyone who has gone through this have any feedback that might help me gage whether I am on the right track in terms of the time commitment factor and the impactment I should plan on in my daily life until it is done?
 Thanks you, Betsy in PA

 problem solving- and the kids figured out how to fix them.  P.S. I
learned that plastercraft is a much better idea over balloons, or grocery bags
dipped in art paste.
Susan on Long Island
---
-------------------------------1066953786
<HTML><HEAD>
<META charset=3DUTF-8 http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; charse=
t=3Dutf-8">
<META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.2800.1106" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
f">
<DIV>
<DIV>In a message dated 10/22/2003 11:45:10 PM Eastern Daylight Time, sharon=
@art-rageous.net writes:</DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE style=3D"PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: blue=20=
2px solid"><FONT face=3DArial>I<BR>can honestly say that I often get into pr=
ojects with the kids not knowing<BR>what the outcome will be.&nbsp; I plan t=
hings out as best as I can--and try to<BR>gather as much info as possible--b=
ut I rarely have time to test everything<BR>before I present it.</FONT></BLO=
CKQUOTE></DIV>
<DIV>Whew...Sharon and Mark,&nbsp;I agree with both of you.&nbsp; Mark, you=20=
had valuable things to say. Sharon, your projects are so innovative and succ=
essful that ya gotta be doing something right!&nbsp; </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>I almost NEVER repeat&nbsp;lessons from year to year.&nbsp;Never repeat=
ing lessons runs the risk of not having that cushion of familiarity that is=20=
a comfort zone in teaching.&nbsp; But, the trade-off is the freshness and ex=
citement of&nbsp;always new lessons and&nbsp;exhibits that keep everyone's i=
nterest.&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>I teach six different grade levels at one time and I spend a lot of tim=
e thinking about how to make the lessons meaningful and engaging&nbsp;for my=
 students.&nbsp;&nbsp;I often rely on my vision of how I think the completed=
 art will turn out.&nbsp; I think my experience has allowed me to do this. I=
, too, &nbsp;wish&nbsp;I had time to do a sample for each&nbsp;new lesson, b=
ut I don't.&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Presenting an unfamiliar material can be tricky.&nbsp; I can think of o=
nly a couple of times I wished&nbsp;I had made a sample, however. One is&nbs=
p;years and years ago.&nbsp;&nbsp;I had the kids make planets from papier ma=
che over balloons. It looked so easy in the book...LOL...On Friday we put on=
 the two (measly) coats (that's what the book said)&nbsp;of newspaper and&nb=
sp;art paste&nbsp;on&nbsp;perfectly round spheres.&nbsp; On Monday the ballo=
ons had shrunk into perfectly deflated&nbsp;craters!&nbsp; It was a great le=
sson on problem solving- and the kids figured out how to fix them.&nbsp; P.S=
. I learned that plastercraft is a much better idea over balloons, or grocer=
y bags dipped in art paste.&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Susan on Long Island</DIV>
---
<BR>