Re: National Board Certification

---------

From: Grace Hall (gchall_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Oct 23 2003 - 10:56:22 PDT

I am presently an advanced candidate for NB Certification in EAYA/Art. That
means that this is my second time around the process, as I came within 24
points of passing the first time around. I re-took 3 of the
entries/exercises this year, and I'm now awaiting my scores to come out in
Nov.-Dec.

Let me just start out by telling you first that you should consider this a 3
year committment. There's a 90% failure rate on first timers, which I didn't
take to heart the first time, and was SORELY disappointed when I didn't pass.
Like you I thought that I already did all those things in the standards, and
that all I had to do was put it all down on paper. NO! There is SOOOO much
more to it. You have to be REALLY committed to the professional standards of
teaching art. You can't get away with any type of lipservice, or short cuts
what so ever. You must provide clear, consistant, convincing, evidence of the
work you do with students. In order to do that, you must be TOTALLY
committed.

Next thing you should know is that this is a big investment in your career.
You will have to invest a great deal of time into research, learning,
studying, evaluating, and revising. You will probably lose sleep staying up
to work on it, then obcessing about it when you try to sleep. Stress is a
factor. I've had my moments when I just didn't think I had another year in me
to do this again if I don't pass this time around. But like most good
investments, the pay off will be greater than you're expecting. Not only
will you see it in your pay check, but even before that you'll see it in your
classroom, in your students, and in yourself. I am a MUCH better teacher now
because I've taken up this challenge. I've also met and made wonderful
friends from around the country by networking with other teachers going thru
the process. And that's just the tip of the iceburg!

I know there are others on this list who have gone thru or are going thru the
process. I would love to hear what they have to say, or add to what I've
told you.
Best of luck should you take the challenge!
Grace

On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 07:01:45 -0700, Betsy Heeney wrote