National Board Certification

---------

From: Betsy Heeney (bheeney_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Oct 23 2003 - 07:01:45 PDT

Has anyone done the National Board Certification portfolio? Iam thinking of doing it beginning next month for a portfolio filing in April. If you've done it, could you give me an idea of how intense the process is in terms of committed time outside of school on a weekly basis? I would have only 4 months to put it together. Call me crazy, but my district does pay an additional $2000 a year above the contract salary if you have the certification. I am thinking that I already do what the certification process wants, but I need to document it through visuals and reflective writing components. I am hoping that the payoff will include helping me organize my time in general, and help me become a better teacher through the reflection process. It also will pay off financially in the long run. Does anyone who has gone through this have any feedback that might help me gage whether I am on the right track in terms of the time commitment factor and the impactment I should plan on in my daily life until it is done?
 Thanks you, Betsy in PA

---