Re: slightly off topic--ideas for Veterans Day?

---------

From: artappeal (artappeal_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Oct 22 2003 - 18:23:16 PDT

Our school has a big ceremony every year. It is held outside the front of
our school around the flag. Our high school band plays and the chorus
sings. All of our elementary students learn a patriotic song to sing and
they wave little flags (the Nov. after 9/11 they sang "Proud to be an
American"). A teacher sings the Star Spangled Banner. We have a flyover
and a 21 gun salute. We have a roll call of all the students' and teachers'
relatives who have served. All the names are listed on a Wall of Honor. We
give an honorary key to the school to a local public figure who is honored
first with a speech by one of our fifth graders. The whole ceremony lasts
about half an hour. Oh, the whole neighborhood is invited, and there are
special seats for veterans. The students give the veterans special
patriotic pins. Taps is played at the end. Afterwards our veterans are
invited to the school for refreshments. There is usually media coverage.

Leah