RE: prompts

---------

From: Kramer, Bunki [LC] (bkramer_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Oct 22 2003 - 09:59:54 PDT

From: Patricia Knott [mailto:pknott@enter.net]
I search and scour newspapers and magazines for words and phrases that
inspire themes/ideas for my kids to visually respond to

I'm sitting here this morning "watching" 12 middle school girls (for an hour of my teaching day) who were not given parental approval to watch the "Nightmare on Puberty Street" mass assembly on sex, drugs, peer pressure given each year to our kids from Kiser Permanente Hospital. It's really a GREAT performance but some parents are goosey about the content. Since I don't have a homeroom this year, I'm elected to babysit the "can not go's" so I'm sitting here pondering the "prompts" thread that's popped up here.

If I would have to pick a prompt for generating ideas, I would have to go with inventing ways to manipulate mediums in different, unique ways. I find that excites the teacher in me to stay active in the creative process. After I figure out how the project is going to be done, I do my research on how I want to present it...art history, critiquing masters' works, whatever tie-in I think would hook my students and entice their enthusiasm for the subject.

It's interesting to read how we each approach the subject from differnt viewpoints with the same goals in mind. Toodles....Bunki

---