RE: slightly off topic--ideas for Veterans Day?

---------

From: WIEDERHOEFT MEAGAN (M.Wiederhoeft_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Oct 22 2003 - 09:36:55 PDT

Hello Irene (and everyone),
Our school (elementary) has an assembly on Veteran's Day that includes patriotic music by the band and choir, posters with the years of each war or significant dates, usually an essay written and read by a student, and often a presentation or visit from a veteran. I'm sure there are thousands of activities you could include, but as the art teacher, I am having one of my classes make paper poppies, an idea I got from the "kinderart" website. We'll talk about what the poppies represent and why people wear poppies on Veteran's day. Then we'll display them in the gymn for the assembly. Even if you didn't have an assembly, you could use the poppies as a visual reminder throughout the school, or even pin them to the students to wear. Here's the link to the poppies project. http://kinderart.com/seasons/heartpoppies.shtml

If you think of any interesting alteration to the project, let me know! I was thinking of making red pastepaper with my classes and cutting the poppies out of that. Good luck with all the Veteran's Day plans...I really think the kids need to take part in some activity remembering the people who have served our country!

Meagan
WI