Where do lesson ideas come from?

---------

From: Amanda Linn (toasterart_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Oct 22 2003 - 09:20:58 PDT

I am writing this during lunch so excuse the rambling-

Where do lessons come from? (High School)
I am heavy on the content-

Writing prompts
Contemporary art concepts
Children's literature
Current events
What an artist's work is ABOUT not what it LOOKS like
Pop culture
Destroying Cliche' images
Random thoughts by students
Bringing traditional images and ideas into
contemporary thought
Personal Connections
Determining what the students already know about a
topic and building on that knowledge or leading them
to change an incorrect assumption through art making

As for skills-
I scan the class and determine what skills need to be
taught, retaught or reinforced (sometimes art making
skills-MANY times art thinking skills)

For instance right now my Art II, III, and IV classes
are using traditional children's stories as jumping
off places.

The Art II classes are creating a composition that
depicts a traditional story from one of the characters
point of view- literally what the character sees. I am
also using this to teach painting technique.

The Art III and IV classes are selecting a character
from a traditional story that they share a personal
connection with- then merging personal qualities and
events from their experience with the traditional
character. The media is open.

In both classes we will also explore gender bias, how
different ethnic groups are portrayed, how stories
have changed- have they been cleared of violence- etc.

Just some thoughts-
Amanda Linn

=====
If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear- George Orwell