Re: slightly off topic--ideas for Veterans Day?

---------

emb15_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Wed Oct 22 2003 - 07:49:49 PDT

When I was in 4th or 5th grade a Vietnam veteran came and talked to our class. He had lost an arm because a grenade had been thrown at his foxhole and he caught it so it wouldn't blow everybody up. It blew up his hand instead. This made a really deep impression on me and I have never forgotten it. In my current job I work at a VA hospital one afternoon a week. I am more of a 'dove' as opposed to a 'hawk' and I feel our govt has squandered our military power in many cases. Yet, these are real people who have laid there lives on the line and suffered incredible atrocities and hardships in some cases. Veteran's Day goes largely unrecognized in many places and I think this is a shame. I think our country does a pititful job of honoring and taking care of our veterans. It might be a good idea to have a veteran speak to the class or have the class discuss how our country treats veterans or what kind of dedication is needed to fight in a war. Another idea would be to create art
(not necessarily with a patriotic theme) and ask a local VA hospital to display it as an appreciation of the Veterans.
-Ellen