RE: prompts

---------

From: cen_aca_dp (cen_aca_dp_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Oct 22 2003 - 05:33:37 PDT

Claes Oldenburg is a great artist to use as a tie in for this lesson. I have a
video that shows his "Store" exhibit in which he displayed the "food" he made
in glass display cases for people to purchase. Just a thought!

Denise Pannell
Defiance, OH

>===== Original Message From Geoffrey McClain <skygeoff@comcast.net> =====
>promptsHere's an inspiring (I think new) lesson. We're doing a unit on Japan
this year. My third graders were inspired by the plasitic food displays in
the windows of Japanese restaurants. These displays are so realistic that you
can't believe the food isn't real. It takes them years of training to learn
how to make this plastic food. I got some great images from Google of fake
shrimp tempura, beef bowl and fried rice. There's a district in Japan devoted
to this fake food.
>Anyway, I gave them small paper plates to decorate and then passed out Model
Magic (no kiln at my school). They created the most realistic version of
their favorite foods. Next they will mix paint to create realistic colors.
They get the primary colors and black and white. Then they will make a little
display with a construction paper decorated placemat, napkin, cut out
"silverware", etc. Some of the food they made included a slice of pizza with
pepperoni, oreo cookies, sushi, tacos and hamburgers. All my other classes
have been begging to do this.
>Sky in NJ

---